Austin Street Center
Safe Shelter and Basic Needs For The Homeless
Church of the Apostles supports the Homeless at the Austin Street Center. In addition, our parishioners have been delivering sandwiches and fruit to feed the homeless for over a decade.
Founded in 1983, Austin Street serves men, ages 45 and older, and women, ages 18 and older. Each person who requests shelter is provided a safe place to sleep, showers, clothing, and meals. As a result of obtaining basic needs, the homeless can concentrate on their lives to transition out of homelessness.
The Austin Street Center has been classified as an emergency shelter.
The Austin Street Center Services include:
Work Readiness Program: Services include a staffed Resource Center, computer training, a job skills training program, and hence, the Center has an Employment Specialist Case Manager.
Veteran’s Program: Includes a support group, assistance with access to resources, VA benefits, and transportation to appointments.
Substance abuse support: Outside service providers facilitate meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous.
Women’s Program: Designed to address the unique issues and risks that females face when homeless, the program provides support and tools that assist them through their homelessness, and above all, the ability to make good decisions in life.
Spiritual support: Churches provide interdenominational services at the Center’s on-site chapel each week, and additionally, the center has Bible Study groups throughout the week.
Onsite partnerships: Finally, local hospital and clinic staff routinely visit the campus to provide mental and physical healthcare.
How You Can Help Austin Street
Donate items to benefit the men and women served at Austin Street Center!
We are asking for monetary and in-kind donations because of adjustments Austin Street Center has made with the COVID-19 outbreak in North Texas and Dallas County Shelter in Place Order. We have an increased demand for staffing due to the current restriction on volunteers, as well as a plan to transition the oldest and medically vulnerable clients to motels, based on our ability.
There Immediate Needs:
- Monetary Donations
- Meals (to be dropped off for staff to serve). We have dates filled through May for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Contact Libby Card at Libby.Card@austinstreet.org for more information.
- Sanitizing Wipes (must contain 60% alcohol)
- Hand Sanitizers (must contain 60% alcohol)
- Antibacterial Hand Soap (individual container or refill bottle)
- Clamshell Take-Out Food Containers (to use for serving meals). See Amazon Wish List
- Ground coffee
- Bottled Water (8 oz.)
- New underwear of all sizes for men and women
- Disposable razors
- Towels (new or gently used)
- Twin-size Blankets or Throws
- Shoes (for men and women), preferably tennis shoes